setup mail server

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Wed May 5 21:04:07 UTC 2004

Jeremy Brown wrote:

> Sendmail handles SMTP, and Fedora includes a generic IMAP server as
> well (I don't remember who makes it...dove something, I think).

dovecot... Good software.. Has support for IMAP , IMAPS and POP3... I
dont remmember the standard config that comes with Fedora , but I
believe it comes with everything disabled , so it's pretty useless if
you just start the service without configuring it properly.

> There should be almost zero configuration for IMAPd.  Install it ("yum
> install imapd"), enable it at boot time (with "ntsysv", for example),
> and your users should be able to log in.  Easy as pie.

It depends.. Dovecot has a lot of configuration , but the config file
has lots of comments and examples.
One thing I'd like to point to Nina... I worked as a sysadmin and when I
first tried to learn sendmail , it worked , but not perfectly... If you
get too tired of trying to understand sendmail , you can try postfix..
It has a good security record (3 serious bugs so far , against about 48
in sendmail , according to cvre.org) and it's configuration is simple
and very commented. Also , the postfix.org website has a huge
documentation and lots of howtos about lots of different configurations
(from simple configurations to vhosts using databases...)

--
Pedro Macedo