Re: Memory Leak? (repost)

Yang Xiao wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Yang Xiao [mailto:yxiao ohpp com] Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 3:08 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: (no subject)

Hi list,

I'm running Fedora Core 1 with 512 MB RAM and 1 Ghz CPU.

I noticed that even without any apps running, the machine seems to be using
a lot of RAM and I can't figure out what and why.

Here's the top output

<snip>

I suppose cached/buffered memory are "free" because free gives the following
output

Mem:           501        344        157          0        103        110
-/+ buffers/cache:        130        371
Swap:         1019          0       1019

but still, what's using 130 MB of RAM ?

You have a lightly loaded machine. No swap is being used at all and 100.0% isle cpu. Buffers/cache are used to optimize the system and linux will use ALL available memory before it uses swap. You still have 157MB ram unused.

Here is the output of free on my system
$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 513852 502644 11208 0 181972 183320
-/+ buffers/cache: 137352 376500
Swap: 1028152 91080 937072

I am running a lot of services and the system works well.
Don't worry about the amount of memory being used unless it becomes a problem and the systrem noticeably slows down.

BTW, mine also is running at 100% cpu usage constantly