RES: How to block Kazaa; NIS authentication

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu May 6 00:57:39 UTC 2004

Artur Sampaio wrote:

>Ok. Block a specific port is really easy... But the problem is: kazaa
>tries to use the port 1214, but if it's blocked, he use other ports...
>And if i block all other, it uses the port 80, that i can't block, cause
>my users need web.....
>I'm googling for the answer too... If i find something, i put it on the
>list too.

If I understand this correctly, you are provideing internet connection
to these users.

You should have an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).  Then you can
justifiably deny service to the  user who wants Kazaa as long as the AUP
says it is not allowed.  Deny service in varying degrees, as
appropriate, maybe even no service if it gets to that and the user does
not comply with your policy.

You are putting an obstacle in the way that he may get around, but
shutting off his service he won't be able to get around.  As a famous
president once said "walk softly and carry a big stick".  Users usually
comply when they know the  rules and the consequences.

Use both methods for better relations.

just my $0.02 on this.