Mozilla not starting

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 6 01:35:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 10:44:46AM -0400, Jay Daniels wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 05:35:26PM -0400, Oso Pardo wrote:
> > Hi:
> >     Can someone on the list explain why certain users, no matter if you work
> > in a network or in an isolated workstation, do not get mozilla to start.
> You try log out of X and mv .mozilla .mozilla-old, startx then start
> mozilla?

Make sure that they are starting mozilla the same way.
Start in a terminal window and find out which mozilla
is being started.

    $ which mozilla
    /usr/bin/mozilla
   or
    /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla
   or

Perhaps:
    $ locate mozilla | grep mozilla$
to find hidden versions.

Next check to see how they are starting mozilla.  If they are clicking on
an icon check the properties (right mouse click for my window manager).
In fact I have my shell finding /usr/bin/mozilla and my icon launching
/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla such a difference can be key to your trouble.

Next find out what package installed what...

   $ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/mozilla
   mozilla-1.4.1-18

which is normal.

   $ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla
   file /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla is not owned by any package

which is abnormal and reflects my use of a test version
of mozilla ;-)

N.B. that mozilla is commonly launched by a script that sets
up environment and other contexts.   You want to let the
launcher script do it's thing in 99% of the cases.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l