Re: Software RAID disk partitioning (FC1) (SOLVED)

Chris Adams wrote:

Once upon a time, Alexander Dalloz <alexander dalloz uni-bielefeld de> said:

Running swap space as / on a RAID makes not so much sense. Better create
a swap partition on each drive and in /etc/fstab assing each swap space
the same priority with pri=X (see man 8 swapon for the priority setting)
in the options column.

Then if you have a disk failure the system crashes because in-use swap space went away. RAID1 gives you redundancy on swap.

It also adds another layer of software between the drive and memory. Thus a speed penalty in an already bottlenecked area.

I would rather have it crash if a drive fails than constantly have to endure the longer access time when swap is in use. After all, in 10 years I have only seen one drive fail on all my systems.