Raid1 mdadm: RAID1 error: mdadm: No super block found on ...

Reinhard Sy reinhard at meinberlikomm.de
Thu May 6 10:21:19 UTC 2004

Here I found it  "man md" :

UNCLEAN SHUTDOWN

       To handle this situation, the md  driver  marks  an  array  as
"dirty"
       before  writing  any data to it, and marks it as "clean" when the
array
       is being disabled, e.g. at shutdown.  If the md driver finds  an
array
       to  be  dirty at startup, it proceeds to correct any possibly
inconsis-
       tency.  For RAID1, this involves copying  the  contents  of  the
first
       drive onto all other drives.  For RAID4 or RAID5 this involves
recalcu-
       lating the parity for each stripe and making sure that the parity
block
       has  the  correct  data.   This  process, known as
"resynchronising" or
       "resync" is performed in the background.  The array can still be
used,
       though possibly with reduced performance.

That is intresting because I can not shutdown/reboot my machine in a
normal way (Kernel: 2.4.21-9.0.1.EL.um.3smp, I have to use the reset
button!!).

The resynchronising is running in the background after starting the
system and finshed after approx. 1 Hour. but the state does not change.

Reinhard