Latest FC kernel still have SMP bugs?

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Thu May 6 11:27:38 UTC 2004

Herbert Gasiorowski wrote:
> Nigel Wade wrote:

>>> The problem remains in FC2 (Test 3) with the 2.6 kernel!
>>>
>>> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 seems to cure at least "ping host"
>>>

>> This is in some way related to nscd.
>>
>> If nscd isn't running hosts don't resolve using LDAP. AFAIK, nscd
>> should not be compulsory.
>>

> Thanks, this seems to solve my problem and finally I managed to install
> nscd!

I do this, but I have to say I don't like it. It's very precarious - if nscd
hangs or crashes for some reason the m/c is unusable. You can't even login
as root at the console to fix nscd if host resolution is hanging. Eventually
pretty much everything hangs.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555