Up2date alternative-revisited.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu May 6 13:03:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 06:23:32PM -0700, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 07:58:41PM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>
> > > This "yum install grip" should do the right thing.
> > >
> > Maybe it should but it does not. As a said what happens is a
> > downloading of a large collection of seemingly irrelevant hdr files.
> > Try it and you will see.
>
> yum will first download "header.info". Look under /var/cache/yum
> Any header it does not have cached it will then download.
>
> After it has the headers it will look at "grip*hdr" and see
> if your version of grip needs to be updated or simply a
> fresh install.
>
> Cut and paste the action so I can see what is cooking.
Ok, I'll accept that and at work with a T1 line that is not a bad
idea. However, at home that is a disaster. To have to download all the
headers just to find out if grip has to be updated over a modem line
seems like too musch work. Why does youm not download just the header
for the package I want and then check if it needs to bre updated.

Does this mean every time I run yum install all the headers have to be
re-downloaded. That does not seem like the way I would want it to
workd.
With apt-get it just looked for the package I was wanting to install
and told me if a newer version was available. I just don't understand
the approach of yum. Could someone  clarify?
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.