RPM just did something weird - after yum update.

Brian Hankins bhankins at micahtek.com
Thu May 6 14:54:23 UTC 2004

Jani Ollikainen wrote:

>error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h# 876 Header V3 DSA signature: BAD,
>key ID e42d547b
>
>Error messages like those and tons of them. So i tried to do:
>
>rpm --rebuilddb
>
>Which told me, "Segmentation Fault".
>
>I fetched the key from keyserver..
>
>pub  1024D/E42D547B 2000-07-03 Matthias Saou (Thias) <matthias.saou at est.une.marmotte.net>
>sub  1024g/40043CA7 2000-07-03
>
>Imported to rpm..
>
>Now:
>
>rpm -qa
>..list of some packets...
>elfutils-0.89-2
>error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#     876 Header V3 DSA signature: BAD, key ID e42d547b
>Segmentation fault
>
>So what ... .... did the update do?

I have another thread where rpm upgrades are segfaulting. Here is some
advice given to me, which you will need the rpm-devel package by the way:

There's probably something corrupt in the rpmdb, if --rebuilddb doesn't
cure it then you can try the alternative method:

Take a backup:
# cd /var/lib
# tar czvf /tmp/rpmdb.tar.gz rpm

Do a basic verify of the packages db:
# cd /var/lib/rpm
# /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_verify Packages

Repair it:
# mv Packages Packages-ORIG
# /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_dump Packages-ORIG | /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_load Packages

See if it worked:
# rpm -qa

If that works ok then rebuild indices:
# rpm --rebuilddb