Old farts and new Linux

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Thu May 6 15:32:11 UTC 2004

fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote:
> On Monday 03 May 2004 02:14 pm, Don Levey wrote:
>
>> I am very much wet behind the ears.
>> I started with a TRS-80 model II (with the cassette),
>
> Well, you're old enough for your memory to be playing tricks on you;
> the Model II had an 8" single floppy disk drive.
>
> The model I had a tape drive as standard; the model III was available
> tape-only, but not too many people bought it that way.
>
> I owned the second TRS-80 Model I sold in San Francisco, and had it
> running 10 MB hard drives before I upgraded to a LOBO.

We actually had a separate, external cassette recorder attached to the
machine (and no disk).  I remember having to make sure the thing was
connected to the mic jack for saving, and headphone jack for retrieval, and
then ppushing play (or play/record) when loading or saving (not to mention
manually advancing the tape past the leader before saving my little BASIC
programs).
 -Don