writing an init.d script

Bob Shaffer fedora at bobshafferscomputer.com
Fri May 7 05:21:33 UTC 2004

Just edit the one from anacron.  If you just need to run that command when
you first boot up, it does make more sense to put it in rc.local.  If
you're not actually starting up a program, the 'stop' and 'status'
commands don't usually make much sense.  Here's a modified init.d script
from anacron:

#!/bin/sh
# Startup script for lsmodemd
#
# chkconfig: 2345 95 05

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

[ -f /usr/bin/lsmodemd ] || exit 0

prog="lsmodemd"

start() {
    echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
    if /usr/bin/lsmodemd --country=SA /dev/lsusb ; then
        touch /var/lock/subsys/$prog
        echo_success ; echo
    else
        echo_failure ; echo
    fi
}

stop() {
    echo -n $"Stopping $prog: "
    stopcmd="command to stop lsmodemd"
    if $stopcmd ; then
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/$prog
        echo_success ; echo
    else
        echo_failure ; echo
    fi
}

case "$1" in
        start)
            start
            ;;

        stop)
            stop
            ;;

        status)
            if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/$prog ]; then
                echo "$prog is started."
            else
                echo "$prog is stopped."
            fi
            ;;
        restart)
            stop
            start
            ;;
        condrestart)
            # whatever a condrestart would be for lsmodemd
            ;;

        *)
            echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|condrestart|status}"
            exit 1

esac

exit 0

# end of script

Bob Shaffer II - Owner, Developer, System Operator - BobShaffersComputer.com
http://bobshafferscomputer.com/

/"\
\ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
 X   CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
/ \