Configure multiple ethernet interfaces

Demyanovich, Craig - Apogent cdemyanovich at apogent.com
Thu May 6 20:58:39 UTC 2004

Greetings,

I can't recreate the configuration of network interfaces after a FC1
install.  eth0 (built-in) has been identified and configured correctly.
However, eth1 (built-in) and eth2-5 (a 4-port card) are a mess.  Kudzu
doesn't detect everything properly at boot time.  Furthermore, despite
deleting all devices (via the GUI config tool), /etc/sysconfig/hwconf still
lists eth4 and eth5.  Yet, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts lists only eth0
and lo (good), and /etc/modules.conf lists only eth0 (good).  What gives?

What I want to be able to do is to keep the config for eth0 and start fresh
with eth1-5.  For example, first I'd configure eth1 and test.  Then, I'd try
to configure the 4-port card (eth2-5).  Still very new to linux
administration, I've been struggling to find a good resource on how to
accomplish my goal.  I would greatly appreciate any pointers on the proper
way to tell FC1 exactly what I want the details (card, driver, assigned to
ethX, etc.) of the remaining interfaces to be.

Many thanks,
Craig

Craig Demyanovich
Software Developer