FAQs?

Bob Jones bt4rfj at earthlink.net
Fri May 7 11:00:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 05 May 2004 02:15:03 +0800, Dexter Ang <thepoch at mydestiny.net>
wrote:

> John Aldrich wrote:
>> Ok... I give up. I'd like to get up2date to, at the very least, keep my
>> RH9 system updated with all security and errata, but since RedHat is no
>> longer supporting RH 9, my only option is Fedora.
>
> You could look at www.fedoralegacy.org (or do a search for Fedora
> Legacy). From what I hear, they will basically be supporting end-of-life
> RedHat products... for security updates anyway.
>
>> I seem to recall that one can reconfigure Up2Date to download from the
>> Fedora servers, but I don't know what changes need to be made. Is there
>> a FAQ somewhere on what changed have to be made to get that running?
>
> I don't know about that as Fedora servers will have their own Fedora
> updates and not RH9... I may be wrong.
>
>> I also know that up2date will run much like apt in that you can update
>> to the next version without having to have physical install media. I'd
>> be interested in doing that, but I need to know how, and I'm assuming
>> since the silence to my question on this is deafening, that it's in the
>> FAQ somewhere. I'll RTFM if someone will point me to TFM!
>> 	Thanks...
>
> Sorry but I must remain silent on this one. I have no idea if you can
> "apt" your way from RH9 to FC1 or FC2. Maybe you could download disc 1
> or create a boot disk and do an FTP install, so you won't need any
> physical media other than the initial boot disk. I guess I didn't remain
> silent after all.
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> dex

Sorry Dex - this really should have been a reply to John Aldrich - I came
in late to the thread.

John - Go to Fedora Wiki - this link for the info:

	http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

This link has the FAQ, history, etc:

	http://www.fedora.us/

And this link has the official-unofficial FAQs:

	http://fedora.artoo.net/faq

I up-graded from RH8 -> RH8Fedora-> Fedora Core 1 -> Fedora Core 2 with
only minor glitches - all on line. 'Used Apt for the first upgrade to
RH8Fedora, only because I didn't know either apt or yum at first, then
used yum for the others because most of the repos were setup for yum at
the time.

HTH
Bob Jones