Kernel Compilation Issues

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri May 7 21:23:46 UTC 2004

rnissley at allvantage.com wrote:
> I'm attempting to re-build the kernel with some options I want
> (netfilter/iptables). I did "make mrproper" and then reloaded my configs from a
> file saved earlier, so the source directory should be clean.
> The compilation runs for some time and then bombs. I get 7 undefined reference
> errors (all ACPI related) similar to
>
> arch/i386/kernel/kernel.o(.text.init+0x5328): In function `acpi_parse_lapic':
> : undefined reference to `acpi_table_print_madt_entry'
>
> and then
>
> make[1]: *** [kallsyms] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl'
> make: *** [vmlinux] Error 2
>
> None of the ACPI options are enabled in my kernel config. I even manually edited
> a line in .config because I couldn't find a way to turn it off using the config
> tools:
>
> CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=n
>
> I'm guessing that might actually break something important, but I gave it a shot.
>
> Any answers/suggestions?

Kernel build sequence:

	1.  "cd /usr/src/linux"

	2.  "make mrproper"

	3.  Copy over your config to "/usr/src/linux/.config"

	4a. If you wish to make more tweaks,
		"make xconfig" or
		"make menuconfig"

	4b. If you AREN'T making any other tweaks:
		"make oldconfig" <<<--- CRITICAL!

	5.  "make dep"  <<<--- ALSO CRITICAL!

	6.  "make bzImage"

	7.  "make modules"

	8.  "make install modules_install"
-    Working with Linux is like wrestling with a worthy opponent.    -
-   Working with Windows is like picking on an annoyed child with a  -
-                            loaded handgun.                         -