Core 1 hangs on booting at Freeing unused kernel memory

David Woakes david at mitredata.co.uk
Fri May 7 22:04:07 UTC 2004

I have Core 1 working quite happily on a Via Epia-M 10000 Nemehiah
motherboard and I intend to replace the system with one based on a Via
Epia-M 6000 Motherboard.

I have transferred the memory from the original PC and the hard drive.
After changing to an i586 kernel it boots and gets as far as the
"Freeing unused kernel memory: 124k freed" and then the system hangs.

The new configuration boots quite happily in the original motherboard.

Oddly there are no messages in /var/log/messages from booting on the new
configuration so I suspect that it's probably something to do with not
getting access to the root partition.  In the map below the first
partition in the /boot partition, the second is / and is labelled "/".

Disk /dev/hda: 82.3 GB, 82348277760 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10011 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1        13    104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda2            14      9880  79256677+  83  Linux
/dev/hda3          9881     10011   1052257+  82  Linux swap

regards
David
--
t 0131 447 0509