Custom kernel warning

John Thompson john at os2.dhs.org
Fri May 7 22:38:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 03 May 2004 10:42:39 +0100
Richard Conway <fedora at rconway.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 19:53, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> > Uttered Richard Conway <fedora at rconway.co.uk>, spake thus:
> >
> > > "You are running kernel-2.4.26.rac, but it is not installed in RPM
> > > format. It is highly recommended that you run the official Red Hat
> > > Linux kernels. By running a custom kernel, you will miss out on
> > > any security fixes and functionality enhancements provided by Red
> > > Hat Linux, and your configuration is unsupported. "

> Thanks for the info. I'll check the rpm for more details.
> Would you say it's unsafe to use the un-patched kernel?

Yes, you'll just have to keep on top of the kernel updates yourself
rather than relying on RedHat to tell you about them.  By staying with
the most current kernel you should have the latest patches anyway.
RedHat generally backports their patches from the latest kernel into
their current supported kernel anyway.

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)