log-in

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Sat May 8 01:42:18 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 22:24, Tom Harvey wrote:
> Why is it, that right after I installed Fedora, it asked for a
> Username and Password and I have no idea what those could be. I didn’t
> set a Username.

During install it asked for a password (no user name) -- this was the
root (i.e., administrator) account.  You should never really need to log
in as root directly, but rather as a regular user, and then use "su"
(switch user) to become root only when necessary (the command to do so
is "su -" (the - is important).  You'll need to supply the password you
were asked to set during installation.

After first boot, you were told to set up a regular user account, at
which point you would have indeed been asked for a user name and
password.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves