Old farts and new Linux (was: new FC1 install problems)

Dennis Calhoun dcalhoun at blomand.net
Sat May 8 06:33:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 03 May 2004 16:00:34 +0100, you wrote:

>Around 03:44pm on Monday, May 03, 2004 (UK time), duncan brown scrawled:

[snip]
>Well I'm 43 and have 5 PCs/Servers in my study running Gnu/Linux.  I
>started as a trainee programmer on a Honeywell maiunframe in '79.
>
>And I know there are plenty older and more skilled than me.

Older, yes, but in my case I surely will not make any false claim as
to being more skilled.

I've only been using Linux (RHL9 first and now FC1 on one box, soon to
install SuSe on another too) for about one year, computers in general
for about ten years, but I am 50 and working on some certifications
now. Lord knows why I didn't get into computers sooner.....

Someone else mentioned "assembly".... Steve Gibson of Gibson Research
swears by Assembly Language and I hope to find time to learn much more
about it soon. If anyone can recommend some good sources of learning
materials, I would be most grateful.

Dennis C.