GRUB blues

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Sat May 8 17:17:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 05 May 2004 22:46:33 -0400
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 21:58, Andre Costa wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried installing GRUB on a machine today, and even though I
> > insisted it should boot from the first partition (/boot on
> > /dev/hda1), it stopped all the times right after boot with its own
> > shell prompt. Typing 'root' showed me it was believing "hd0,2" (3rd
> > partition) was the root partition -- hell knows why it thought that
> > (faulty BIOS maybe?).
> >
> > The bottom line is that machine is only bootable through GRUB shell
> > with:
> >
> > root (hd0,0)
> > configfile /grub/grub.conf
> >
> > Anyone knows how to fix this? I tried all its commands I thought I
> > could help (setup, install), with all possible parameters, to no
> > avail.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Andre
> >
> > --
> > Andre Oliveira da Costa
> You can reinstall from the grub command line. This is actually the
> recommended way.
> 1) root (hd0,0)   #Where the kernel is vmlinux*
>
> 2) find /boot/grub/stage1
>
> 3) setup (hd0)
>
> Recheck the procedure if needed but I believe this is correct

Thks for the tip.

Believe me, I tried every possible way. I even used install directly
(instead of setup). Also tried grub-install from the command-line. For
some weird reason, when the machine boots GRUB still believes it is not
on (hd0,0) and starts its shell. If I do the above procedure, I can
boot, but just because I force him to use the correct (hd0,0) as root.

Any other ideas?

TIA,

Andre

--