Whats the diff between /dev/sg0 And /dev/scd0 ???

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat May 8 19:25:59 UTC 2004

Whats the diff between /dev/sg0 And /dev/scd0 ???

I ask because when I was learning to get dvd::rip to be able to burn on
my cd-rw I discovered that there was a file  "/dev/cdwriter" (which is a
symlink to /dev/sg0) Which made me wonder why the default mount point for
my cd-rw was instead "/dev/cdrom1" which is sym linked to /dev/scd0...

Anyway before I found a better way, I was able to get dvd::rip to burn
cd's using the /dev/cdwriter device file link. The only thing it didn't
seam to do was to be able to let me use dvd::rip's open & close buttons
for the cd tray...

But while I had this in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/cdwriter  /cd-rw       udf,iso9660 noauto,user,kudzu       0 0

I was also getting this error message on the boot screen:

Updating /etc/fstab unexpected file type for /dev/cdwriter
                                                           [FAILED]

None the less the drive "SEAMED" to work well enough to burn vcd disks.
And to auto detect the differeance between CD-R & CD-RW disks...

I got rid of the error message (and restored use of those buttons) with:

/dev/scd0  /cd-rw       udf,iso9660 noauto,user,kudzu       0 0

But so that I might understand it, would someone tell me what exactly was
unexpected about the file type? And what was failing???

Thanks