Re: Thoughts on undeleting ext3 files

On Sat, 8 May 2004 10:39:30 -0500
"Bill Gradwohl" <bill ycc com> wrote:

> Trying to undelete something is too unreliable. What is reliable is
> backup, of course. Home users typically don't have tape drives and end
> up with machines that haven't been backed up in months, if ever.

I've picked up used DLT tape drives on eBay for ~US$30 with tapes
~US$5-10/ea.  I have a perl script that runs dump/xfsdump on all the
filesystems in the middle of the night and writes the dumps to disk.
Once a week all the level0 dumps are moved to tape and the process
starts over.

Backup doesn't have to be expensive.

--

-John (john os2 dhs org)