Win4Lin (ask if the next yum kernel update would need to be seperately patched????)

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat May 8 21:31:37 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 7, Bill Diamond did say:

> Yum isn't always yummy, is it?  Right now, I'd have to say that you
> won't likely find that new kernel updates will include the mki-patch
> that enables win4lin.  Netraverse folks are trying to fix that, and I
> think they've got one kernel distro that will include their patches as
> part of the core.
>
> The only downside reality of Win4Lin is that you should always expect to
> download kernel source, patch it and recompile it.  Always.   Is it
> worth it? Oh, my.  Yes it is.  It's the first time in ten years I've
> seen a truly stable Windows 98.  They're working on support for Windows
> 2000 as well.  I pretty much live in Adobe applications and until such
> time as there is market density and demand for Adobe apps on Linux,
> Win4Lin is the best way to go.

Well thanks for the info Bill, but for me, until it's yummy, it's yucky...

I don't live in windows.  So far I haven't made my scanner work in linux.
Otherwise I only go there on every third solar eclips... ;-)

So for me it's only a petty annoyance to disable the cable modem and
boot win98... Get what ever done and get out ASAP, re-enable the cable
modem AFTER I get to the lilo menu IF I'm selecting a linux boot option.