hosts file

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Fri May 7 15:40:38 UTC 2004

I purchased a domain and setup a roundrobin service to host my DSN.

Since X would not start because the dns has not propagated yet, I put
my FQDN in /etc/hosts

# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.2.1             darkforce.darkforceteam.net darkforce
192.168.2.12            darkstar.darkforceteam.net darkstar

Something tells me that perhaps I have something incorrect?  I have
two interface and am masquerading as darkforce.darkforceteam.net with
a static ip on eth0.  The eth1 is my localnet.

Should I have pointed my FQDN to my static ip or the 192.168...?

As it is, everything works even though my ip doesn't resolve yet.  But
is this correct?

There was a tool in RH 9 to set the hostname, I cannot find this tool
in Fedora??? so I edited /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/hosts by
hand.

I want to be able to access this host by name http://darkforce/ from
the localnet even if the network is down.

I am also clueless as to what to put in redhat-config-httpd?  I want
the default to be www. but my machine is named darkforce.domain...
How do I add ssh.domain.net ftp.domain.net etc to my hosts file?

Searched google but everybodies hosts file seems to be setup
differently.

What else do I need to do to get apache working and add virtual host
like testsite.mydomain.net?

jay