re NFS with firewall

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Sun May 9 14:45:59 UTC 2004

On Saturday 08 May 2004 20:56, Charles Tharp wrote:
> I have been working with trying to run nfs through the firewall . Is it
> correct that I must set
> my open ports during the install, as I see no way to set them with the
> security cfg mge later on.
> is it just my distro that I am using, I are running several versions rh9
> from sam's books,  fedora from sam,s books and a download from a rh mirrow,
> and they all run the same.   I saw mention of being able to download a
> secruty manager, simular to the version used druing the install. but at
> this moment have not been able to find it.
>
> seems like a can run  samba, nfs, ssh all ok with the firwall disabled but
> nothing with it on &/customized.
>
> anyone with si,mulare exeperiances, and fixes.
>

> will try dl a running the fc2 this weekend.
> catharp.bellsouth.net
> www.48lanes.com

Firewallings difficult with NFS, because of its seemingly random use of ports.

I think that on linux you can restrict the nfs server to specific ports.

I tend to run

rpcinfo -p nfs_server_name

and rpcinfo -p localhost

get a list of ports to allow access at boot up.

 dave.

--
Dr. David Holden. (Systems Developer)
Crystallography Journals Online: <http://journals.iucr.org>