GRUB blues

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Sun May 9 15:17:04 UTC 2004

On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:43:26 +0100
Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

> >own> > shell prompt. Typing 'root' showed me it was believing "hd0,2"
> >(3rd> > partition) was the root partition -- hell knows why it
> >thought that> > (faulty BIOS maybe?).
>
> Did you try "grub-install --recheck /dev/hda"
> (assuming you want grub installed on the MBR)?

Mmmh... now _that's_ something I hadn't tried, thks for pointing that
out. I will try it tomorrow (I don't have physical access to the machine
right now).

> If it still goes to the wrong boot, try
> grub> configfile
> in your interactive session,
> to see where it thinks your grub.conf is.

Well, I remember it thought the root partition was (hd0,2) and not
(hd0,0) as it should be. As a result, there was no /grub dir and it got
stuck.

> Maybe the link between /etc/grub.conf and /boot/grub/grub.conf
> got broken in some way.

It is set to:

~ ls -l /etc/grub.conf
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 22 May  5 12:02 /etc/grub.conf ->
../boot/grub/grub.conf

When you mentioned it, I thought the leading '..' could be the culprit,
but then I checked and my configuration here at home is just the same,
so I guess it is ok, right?

Thks for the tips, I will post back here the results as soon as I have
them.

Best,

Andre

--