Getting rid of M$

duncan brown duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
Tue May 11 02:19:44 UTC 2004

Chee Kiong Ong said:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a total newbie to linux, hope u guys will pardon me for my
> ignorance.... I've heard alot about linux and read up on many websites
> that tells of why linux is better then M$ windows and i'll decided to
> try it out for myself..
> However, there is at the moment so many distribution of linux to choose
> from, i would greatly appreciate it if  anybody can provide me with some
> advice to start with.
>
> My main concern would b which distribution would be the best and where
> and how can i get it?
>
> Thanks alot,
> mickey

mickey,
  alot of people feel that redhat/fedora is one of the most user friendly
distributions around.  mandrake is also extremely friendly, you can
download both for free from

http://fedora.redhat.com
http://www.mandrake.com

the latest version of the fedora core desktop is comming out in only 6
days, so you may want to hold off on downloading the disc images until
then.

you can download .iso files from any of the mirrors listed on the web
pages for the distributions.

if you're unfamiliar with burning .iso files to a disc, download nero
burning rom from tucows.com.  once you have that installed, just double
click on the .iso file you downloaded and it'll start a session to burn
the image to a disc.

this is assuming that you have a cd burner and a broadband connection,
otherwise you can google for websites that'll burnt he discs for youand
mail them to you for a minimal cost (us $2 per disc, about)

-d

+( duncan brown : duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net )+
+(  linux "just works" : www.linuxadvocate.net  )+

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing
a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT
clones"
         - Linus Torvalds, August 1991