openLDAP question

James B. Byrne ByrneJB.bogus at Harte-Lyne.ca
Tue May 11 14:36:08 UTC 2004

I regret that in the interest of brevity I did not make myself
clearer.  I have slapd running, and I believe from experiments that
the configuration file for this is /etc/openldap/slapd.conf.  My
difficulty is in getting myself connected to the ldap server to
create entries.  I am not clear on the role of the cn=Manger token in
the config file for the binddn and rootbinddn entries.  Is this a
required value or can any arbitrary name be chosen?  Could the name
be changed to "manager" or even "root"? What are the implications?
Can the name be changed later or is the initial selection fixed?  If
one changes the name what other administrative tasks are required to
make it work? Why would I not wish to have the rootbinddn set to
cn=root,dn=harte-lyne,dn=ca  for instance?  I gather that one is
required to put a password in /etc/ldap.secret.  Is this password an
arbitrary one used only for ldap or must it match the password
assigned to root for the system?

Sincerely,
Jim
--

***     e-mail is NOT a secure channel     ***
James B. Byrne                 mailto:ByrneJB.<token>@Harte-Lyne.ca