Auto shutdown

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue May 11 19:40:06 UTC 2004

Adriano Holanda wrote:
> I'm a administrator of a lab with 40 machines.
>
> Sometimes, mainly at night, the students forget to
> shutdown the computers after the classes.
> So computers remain a long period (weekend) with the power
> on, heating the room and themselves.
>
> [];
>
> Adriano.

That is valid.

Are classes in session or are computers accessable at off hours?

If not, then run a cron job at times when the computer isn't/cannot be
used that will just shutdown at that time.

I also see an issue with the monitors being on as well.

Another thing to think about is if it is at a University, then look at
making these systems available for a grid during the off hours.  We
have computers around our organization that are configured to do this.

--
Robin Laing