cdparanoia problems

John Thompson john at os2.dhs.org
Tue May 11 19:45:44 UTC 2004

cdparanoia has been giving me problems since upgrading to FC1.  Prior to
this, I had been able to rip cd audio with a simple "cdparanoia -B"
command; now when I try this I get:

$ cdparanoia -B
cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

/dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.  By default,
cdparanoia stops searching for an accessible drive here.
Consider using -sv to force a more complete autosense
of the machine.

More information about /dev/cdrom:
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/scd1 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device
/dev/scd1

"cdparanoia -sv" just gives me the cdparanoia usage summary; nothing about
why the cd device is giving trouble.

Nor will it work if I use "cdparanoia -B --force-cdrom-device /dev/scd1"

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Unable to open cdrom drive; -v will give more information.

Once again, "cdparanoia -v" just returns a usage summary.

Permissions seem fine:

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom /dev/scd1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      9 Apr 24 15:19 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd1
br--r-----  1 john users 11, 1 Sep 15  2003 /dev/scd1

Curiously, I can play audio cds from this drive just fine; it's just
cdparanoia that has a problem with it.

I can also rip the audio using "cdda2wav -B --dev 2,0,0"

And cdparanoia itself works fine if I rip from my SCSI CD-R device instead of the
(faster) ATAPI device linked to /dev/cdrom.

Here's the SCSI layout:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IOMEGA   Model: ZIP 100          Rev: E.08
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DEC      Model: DLT2000 15/30 GB Rev: 840B
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DEC      Model: TZ88     (C) DEC Rev: CD50
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-R58S          Rev: 1.0M
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: SX4464524        Rev: B410
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: SX4464524        Rev: B410
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: SX4464524        Rev: B410
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: SX4464524        Rev: B410
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: SX4464524        Rev: B410
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: E-IDE    Model: CD-ROM 48X/TKU   Rev: T40
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: General  Model: USB Disk Drive   Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Any ideas?

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)