fixed - (was Re: cdparanoia problems)

John Thompson john at os2.dhs.org
Tue May 11 21:22:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:45:44 -0500
John Thompson <john at os2.dhs.org> wrote:

> cdparanoia has been giving me problems since upgrading to FC1.  Prior
> to this, I had been able to rip cd audio with a simple "cdparanoia -B"
> command; now when I try this I get:
>
> $ cdparanoia -B
> cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
> (C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus
>
> Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
> http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
>
> /dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.  By default,
> cdparanoia stops searching for an accessible drive here.
> Consider using -sv to force a more complete autosense
> of the machine.
>
> More information about /dev/cdrom:
> Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
>         Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
>                 /dev/scd1 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
>         Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
>                 No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device
> /dev/scd1

	[yada, yada, yada]

It turns out to have been a permissions problem after all.  But rather
than the /dev/scd* devices, it was the /dev/sg* devices that needed to
be changed.  chmod-ed the devices and edited /etc/security/console.perms
to reflect the new permissions and all is well.

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)