Kmail Won't Start

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Tue May 11 21:48:56 UTC 2004

I am having trouble with KMail on FC1.

I've been using KMail since RH 6.2 with nary a hitch. But recently, when I run
kmail it won't "come up".

I can see kmail with ps, but nothing ever appears on the screen, nor is there
ever an icon on the KDE taskbar. I have a dual-monitor setup on my laptop.

However, if I kill kmail with fuser, delete the "Geometry" sections in
~/.kde/shared/config/kmailrc, and try again, it runs fine and continues to do
so, even after being closed and opened within the same X session.

But, as soon as I close down X I have to go through the above again.

Any idea what is going on?

-Ben

- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978