root cannot login tho sudo user can

Karl L karlh at concentric.net
Wed May 12 06:53:09 UTC 2004

I suspect that I tried to re-boot while something unlocked was
running but the upshot is that I can't login as root.  However,
I had previously established myself as a user in the sudoer list
with ALL access so I can login as that user (with rw privs).

I've checked Messages but with the exception of an irrelevant
printing module (char-major-188) that cannot be located during boot
I can find nothing to indicate where my problem lies. The boot.log
isn't helpful either.  The secure log wasn't any help either though
it did report that the "root" listed in sudoer is "unknown"

According to what I've read about pam, I believe I can remove
the password requirment for root from the console (to which I
have full access) but I'd rather fix root's login problem if
possible.

If there's a troubleshooting HOWTO I've missed or a site where
this kind of problem is discussed, I'd appreciate the
information.  Since I've run out of my own guesses, I'd also
appreciate any advice listers have to offer.

I'm running FC1 (2188).

Karl L