[OT] Media Centre OS

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Wed May 12 07:36:00 UTC 2004

I quote from an online magazine article I was reading:

"Linux can do everything Media Centre can do, but no one’s gone out and
made a dedicated distro that does all this, and has a nice
consumer-friendly interface. Sure the installation will be harder --
much harder -- but there’s plenty of PC tech people with the savvy to
sort out that end of the bargain."

Do you guys know of anyone thinking or contemplating doing this with
Linux? Microsoft Media Centre can only be bundled with certified PC's,
meaning I could basically never sell one, because my company is too
small fry for Microsoft, but what if there was a Linux distro that is
*JUST* set up for media content?

If no-one is doing this already, what do you think interest will be in a
project like this?

Regards,
Ed.