Antivirus ?

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Wed May 12 17:30:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004 22:37:30 -0700, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com> wrote:

>I've got this working on my laptop. (based on the above link) I'm
>pulling emails from the server.. but unfortunely, I do not see in the
>headers that the mails being 'pop'ed from the pop3s (secure pop3) as
>being scanned by ClamAV.
>
>Local (outgoing) mails go get scanned though..
>
>Ideas???

Do you have clamav-milter running on your mail server? That's what scans mail
as it arrives.  If so, what are the params with which clamav-milter is
running?  On my system, it's

/usr/sbin/clamav-milter -lo --max-children=10 --noreject --quiet
--dont-log-clean --server=localhost local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock
--quarantine-dir=/var/spool/clamav

If you're poppng mail from an external server, you can either use fetchmail to
bring it into your server so it gets processed by the milter or use

POP3 Virus Scanner Daemon

    Supports: clamscan
    This is a full-transparent proxy-server for POP3-Clients. It runs on a
Linux box with iptables (for port re-direction). It can be used to provide
POP3 email scanning from the internet, to any internal network and is ideal
for helping to protect your Other OS LAN from harm, especially when used in
conjunction with a firewall and other Internet Proxy servers. It is designed
to enable scanning of incoming email messages for Virus's, Worms, Trojans,
Spam (read as Un-solicited Bulk Email), and harmfull attachments. Because
viewing HTML mail can enable a Spammer to validate an email address (by the
email client automatically reaching out and touching the web host), it can
also provide HTML stripping. P3Scan is a derived work of POP3VScan. You can
find more information on using ClamAV with pop3vscan in the FAQ.

See http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html#pagestart
--
   Steve