SA Question

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed May 12 23:14:36 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 00:50, Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2004, You wrote:
> > I am looking to set Spam Assassin up for site-wide Spam tagging, but it
> > seems that the SA-Learn utility builds user specific Bayesian databases.
> > Can anyone enlighten me on how I can use Auto-Learn and sa-learn to teach
> > my system sitewide?
>
> There are several ways listed on the spamassassin web page. One way is to
> use postfix/amavisd-new/and spamassassin together. spamassassin gets run
> as the amavis user and as such stores all of its information in the amavis
> home dir.

I used procmail/sendmail to set this up.  In the procmailrc file I used
spamc with the -u option to specify a spamuser.  The database is kept
under that users directory.  This works very well.

> > Also I currently have one Linux Login which recieves mail for several
> > e-mail address' specifically one for each list that I am on,  is using the
> > practice of pointing sa-learn to these list e-mails a bad practice?  I
> > took it as an easy way to feed sa-learn HAM messages but now I am thinking
> > that it may just be negatively skewing messages sent to these address'
> > such as this one (fedoraAAATTTb-dub.org).
>
> you shouls feed the Bayes filter with equal numbers of spam and ham based
> on a sample of ALL of the different types of mail you receive, not just
> ML messages.

On my system at home I use spamassassin in a filter.  But I dump mailing
list mail directly into selected folders prior to the spamassassin
filter.  Non-mailing list email is then processed by spamassassin.  This
tends to speed up the processing of incoming email since I get more
mailing list email than other things.  I have also found that most
mailing lists have little if any spam.  (besides a few flame wars but
those would be difficult to pre-filter  :).

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>