eth0 down... then what...

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Wed May 12 23:20:07 UTC 2004

Robert Achmann wrote:

>ok - newbie admin question...
>
>I want to test out a cool command line command...
>ifconfig eth0 down
>
>wow! I can't connect to the internet...cool.
>ok...
>
>ifconfig eth0 up
>
>no joy...

To see the state of interfaces...

ifconfig

To bring eth0 back up with the proper settings...

ifup eth0

The problem with what you tried is that ifdown and ifup utilize the
interface configurations, but ifconfig takes configuration from command
line arguments.  So what you did for an interface is like what a
wrecking ball does for a house.  One cannot demolish a house and then
put it back by "undemolishing it".  You need house plans to rebuild it.

Using ifdown and ifup work well and take into account all the dynamic
configuration (like use of dhcp), related routes, etc. when bringing an
interface down and up.

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021