Speaking of tar, Can I use it to BU my win98 partition.

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu May 13 02:49:13 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 12, Jeff Vian did say:

> Have you tried mondoarchive?
>     http://www.mondorescue.org
>
> I use it and have it set to run from a cron job at night once a week.  A
> full backup monthly, differential backups weekly (this is my home system).
> It creates bootable iso images for the backup on hard drive and then I
> use cdrecord to put them onto cd for storage. (It can backup directly to
> the cdrom if you wish, or to tape or an nfs mounted drive.)
>
> A full backup of a system with about 38gb of data takes 18 700mb CDs
> (about 2.1gb of data on each 700mb cd)  It also can be used to do a
> backup of other filesystems that are mounted such as your Win98.
>
> This would be much better than a tar archive because of the ability to
> boot and do a full bare bones recovery. Also with the major compression
> it takes less space, And with less manual work than the tar - split -
> cdrecord routine.
>
> just my $0.02  :-)
>
> Jeff

Well thanks for the suggestion Jeff. But what do you have against manual
labor anyway? One of the things I like about the tar approach is it keeps
me hands on enough to: A) learn from it. B) keep what knowledge I already
learned refreshed C) make me intimately aware of what exactly is on which
cd so I can label them properly.

I'm not really much of a fan of automated processes creating gigabytes
of data files on a cron job. I mean if cron could automatically label and
change the CDs then backing up directly to the cd would make it
attractive enough for me to spend the time to learn it.

However the tar split method coupled with a bootable gentoo linux
partimage cd which has tar on it along with an assortment of lilo
floppies should make short work of any bare bones recovery I might need
to do (partimage is my redundant backup method)

Still this mondoarchive sounds like a good system. And when/if ever I'm
ready for an automated back up system, I hope I remember your
suggestion. Thanks again.