Re: eth0 down... then what...

Robert Achmann wrote:
ok - newbie admin question...

I want to test out a cool command line command...
ifconfig eth0 down

wow! I can't connect to the internet...cool.
ok...

ifconfig eth0 up

no joy...

try # ifup eth0 instead

Q: what command can I use to determine why I no longer have an internet conection? netstat and ifconfig just give me a lovely bunch of summary info. What do I need to look at/do to: 1. verify that I am down 2. get the internet active again. (NO GUI PROGRAMS - command line answers only please! - although that's appearantly the only way to manage disk volumes & volume groups (whoah - later discussion!) )

# ifdown eth0 # (ip link show eth0 | fgrep -q UP) && echo "eth0 up" || echo "eth0 down" eth0 down # ifup eth0 # (ip link show eth0 | fgrep -q UP) && echo "eth0 up" || echo "eth0 down" eth0 up