Re: My Linux partitions are lost.

Vikas Bhasin britishairways com wrote:

Please respond to For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Sent by: fedora-list-bounces redhat com
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
cc: bcc: Subject: Re: My Linux partitions are lost.

Hi Scott,

Sorry for delayed reply, i was out of station.

I booted in rescue mode and following is the output of 'fdisk -l /dev/hda';

sh-2.05b# fdisk -l /dev/hda
omitting empty partition (5)

Disk /dev/hda : 40.0GB, 40007761920 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/tracks, 4864 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 1216 9767488+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 1217 4864 29302560 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda3 2433 4864 19535008+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda5 1217 1229 104359+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda6 1230 2302 8618841 83 Linux
/dev/hda7 2303 2432 1044193+ 82 Linux swap
sh-2.05b#

There are linux partitions but i'm not sure why the start and end of blocks are overlapping for different partitions. Looking at above output, do you think previous linux installation can be saved.

These are not overlapping. The partition numbers are out of sequence for physical placement is the only oddity I see. hda4 is usually reserved for the extended partition label and yours uses hda2. The extended partition will include all the cylinders that are in the later partitons. hda3 is also usually a primary partiton, but I have seen this in the past so not really of concern

Thanks and Regards,
Vikas

Vikas Bhasin britishairways com wrote:

Is there any way by which i can preserve my previous Linux installation
and get the GRUB in MBR. Or do I have to reinstall Linux?

Thanks and Regards,
Vikas

There is a good chance XP trashed the linux partitions.  Get the rescue
disk booted and send us the output of "fdisk -l /dev/hda", modified for
the appropriate hard drive.

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems