yum - slightly OT

duncan brown duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
Thu May 13 14:02:47 UTC 2004

> I'm charged with taking some spare PCs we have around here and setting
> up some different distros as demonstrations.  I'd like to set up an
> FC2T3 machine to show Red Hat's offering.  But my experience with other
> distros is kind of lacking.  What other systems include yum, apt, or
> another console based update tool?

mike,
for a more modern fedora, wait about 4 days... the new fedora core comes out.

also, you may want to check out debian (apt-get), mandrake (urpmi) and
gentoo (emerge).

the big disadvantage/advantage of gentoo is that it re-compiles all
updates.  this takes time, but your system will always be up-to-date and
you don't have to do major version upgrades (like you would with mandrake
and fedora).  debian systems never need a full version upgrade either with
apt-get, but installing it can be a pain and i've heard rumors (nothing
concrete, mind you) that debian may be on its way out.  but don't quote me
on that.

-d

+( duncan brown : duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net )+
+(  linux "just works" : www.linuxadvocate.net  )+

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing
a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT
clones"
         - Linus Torvalds, August 1991