ntp won't set clock [Was clock.redhat.com question]

Steve Blackwell steve.blackwell at eer.com
Sun May 9 18:07:13 UTC 2004

Last weekend, a lightning stike knocked out a switch which was
connecting my ntp server. As a result my ntp server's time is off by
about 3 days.

After rebooting the switch and the server, the server will not set the
correct time. I'm using the -g option to ntpd.

ntpq -p looks OK although the jitter on the internet secondary servers
seems high: 2.589, 11.259 and 1.538. Would this high jitter prevent the
local clock from being updated? If not what else could cause this?
There are no unusual messages in the system log.

Thanks,
Steve.