ntp won't set clock [Was clock.redhat.com question]

Last weekend, a lightning stike knocked out a switch which was connecting my ntp server. As a result my ntp server's time is off by about 3 days.

After rebooting the switch and the server, the server will not set the correct time. I'm using the -g option to ntpd.

ntpq -p looks OK although the jitter on the internet secondary servers seems high: 2.589, 11.259 and 1.538. Would this high jitter prevent the local clock from being updated? If not what else could cause this? There are no unusual messages in the system log.

Thanks,
Steve.