ntp won't set clock [Was clock.redhat.com question]

Steve Blackwell steve.blackwell at eer.com
Sun May 9 18:38:38 UTC 2004

On 05/13/2004 10:17:37 AM, Corné Beerse wrote:
> Steve Blackwell wrote:
>> Last weekend, a lightning stike knocked out a switch which was
>> connecting my ntp server. As a result my ntp server's time is off by
>> about 3 days.
>>
>> After rebooting the switch and the server, the server will not set
>> the  correct time. I'm using the -g option to ntpd.
>

> Most systems start with the time found in the bios.
> Then ntp only updates the time if it is within reasonable limits
> (couple of minutes or up to an hour).

The way I understand it is that if you use the -g option when ntpd is
started, asI have done, it does a one time update of the clock
regardless of the time difference. But in my case, it seems that the -g
flag was ignored. I am curious as to why. Here is the section of the
ntpd man page for the -g option:

-g      Normally, ntpd  exits if the offset exceeds the  sanity  limit,
        which is 1000 s by default. If the sanity limit is set to zero,
no sanity checking is performed and any offset  is  acceptable.
        This  option  overrides the limit and allows the time to be set
to any value without restriction; however, this can happen only
        once.   After  that,  ntpd  will exit if the limit is exceeded.
        This option can be used with the -q  option.

The other strange thing is that since I am off by >1000s, why hasn't
ntpd exited?

Steve.