single linux box on dsl?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu May 13 19:52:29 UTC 2004

Guy Fraser said:

> I have been using X for over a decade, and have yet to come accross
> a version that will work without a tcp stack. If you can point me to
> a document written by an XFree86 or Xorg that describes the
> configuration of X with out a tcp stack, I will retract my statement.

Must be your lucky day, I just got this in my e-mail also:

http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/articles/20040513.html

"Not all X11 servers listen on the network by default any more -- this is
a very good thing. The server also will listen on a unix socket, which is
equivalent to a TCP port except it's available via a file on the local
machine. Processes can connect to it only if they are on this machine,
which makes this avenue unavailable from outside machines. "

--
William Hooper