Re: single linux box on dsl?

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Jeremy Brown wrote:

> Guy Fraser wrote:
>
> > So if you want to forward X through ssh, do you have to enable TCP?
>
> I would imagine so, as to my knowledge SSH only does TCP/IP forwarding.

This is incorrect. ssh doesn't require tcp-enabled X server. It does
the Xforwarding (within the ssh connection which is tcp) - and locally
talks with the Xserver via unix sockets.

for eg: after 'ssh remote-machine xterm' - I get:

# netstat -p |grep ssh
unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     127201 912/ssh

Satish