Re: single linux box on dsl?

Satish Balay wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Jeremy Brown wrote:

Guy Fraser wrote:

So if you want to forward X through ssh, do you have to enable TCP?

I would imagine so, as to my knowledge SSH only does TCP/IP forwarding.

This is incorrect. ssh doesn't require tcp-enabled X server. It does the Xforwarding (within the ssh connection which is tcp) - and locally talks with the Xserver via unix sockets.

for eg: after 'ssh remote-machine xterm' - I get:

# netstat -p |grep ssh
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 127201 912/ssh

D'oh! Guess I'm eatin' it this time...

Jeremy