PPPoE Problem

Alex White prata at kuei-jin.org
Thu May 13 21:00:31 UTC 2004

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>Ng Boon Liang wrote:
>

>>I am having problem dialing to my ISP by using the
>>PPPoE. I was recently subscribing to an ADSL service
>>from my ISP but I cannot get it works under my Red Hat
>>Linux 9 and Fedora Core 2 Test 3. Is there anybody can
>>help ?
>>
>>Can anyone of you out there show me how to configure
>>my Red Hat and Fedora Core on connecting by using
>>PPPoE ? I can dial to my ISP from Windows but with Red
>>Hat and Fedora Core, I was having problem. Please
>>refer to the attachment for my configurations under
>>Windows.
>>

>First of all, I am not a PPPoE guru!
>
>Do you have an Ethernet or USB connection?
>I guess you'd need to say if you want help.
>
>Are you running rp-pppoe (Roaring Penguin)?
>It is on the Fedora CDs, I think.
>If so, there is an adsl-setup command
>which is meant to do things for you.

Timothy is correct, I use pppoe for my connection at home. What you need
to do (this explains from the command line view) is the following:

adsl-setup

Answer all of the questions. Remember that eth0 is your first ethernet
card, do you have more than one? Do you know which one is which? This is
important for you to get the connection properly functioning. Next, make
sure you answer the last question concerning bringing up ppp0 at boot
time with a "yes". Assuming that you want to do that. ^_^

Alex White