Hardware reccomondation - SCSI

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu May 13 23:13:10 UTC 2004

At 16:49 5/13/2004, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>What I would like to do is replace my adaptec SCSI card with a better
>(faster) card that is well supported by Linux - and attach 4 fast/big
>SCSI hard disks.

Well, I have two Adaptec 29160 cards that I need to sell. Recently pulled
from a working server, should be just fine, guaranteed not to be DOA. If
you want one, feel free to offer something reasonable... otherwise I'm
going to have to Ebay them. :-)

>Anyway - I want recommendations on a good card with good Linux support
>for fast (faster than U-SCSI) _external_ scsi hard drives. Some cards
>I've looked at have good support for fast _internal_ scsi - but are only
>U-SCSI on the external interface, which is essentially what I have now.
>
>I figure someone on this list has already looked into this.

Have you considered a larger tower case and a 3Ware card? Lots of IDE
drives that way, the 3Ware stuff is fast, and IDE is cheaper. Just a
thought... I don't worry that much about a little extra speed, and that
solution is why I have the extra 29160's now. <smile>

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com