usb probs

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri May 14 02:25:05 UTC 2004

Greetings;

I thought, I hoped, I prayed, that someday I'd be able to plug in my
camera, mount it, and read it more than once without having to
reboot.

Sadly such is not that case.  The camera, an Olympus C3020, mounts as
a vfat filesystem over usb.  It also has a habit of developing poor
battery connections and shutting off about 30 seconds after being
turned on, but I think I found that tonight, one of the battery
contacts was slightly gold colored, where the other one was bright
and shiney.  Some work with a pencil eraser may have slowed that
down.

But whyinhell do I have to reboot just because a $500 camera is a
flake?

The usb system can see it connect once only, and once its dropped
offline, the usb system can only see the reconnect if I reboot first.

I'm rebooting this thing more often than I would a windows box!

--
No Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)