VNC (Virtual Network Computing) question

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri May 14 12:04:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 05:51, Ed Jones wrote:
> As Trond says, VNC is pretty insecure - it's really not worth risking doing
> it directly.
>
> VNC uses ports 5801 upwards (depending on how many virtual consoles you're
> running) - so if you want to give it a try, open port 5801 on your firewall
> or doing some port forwarding if you need to. It's a pretty bad idea,
> though.

I thought it was port 5901?

> A better way would be to run specific applications through SSH (if your
> client machine is a linux box with an X server) or by opening a VPN tunnel
> into the network on which the VNC server sits.

VNC is not a secure way to connect.  However, running it over an ssh
tunnel works just fine.  Have used putty on a windows box to set that up
and setting up an ssh tunnel under linux is even easier.  I have found
that enabling compression helps with the refresh a little.  I don't know
if I would want to use this everyday but it does the job when needed.
--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>