cd burning utilities

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Fri May 14 15:11:32 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Thu, 13 May 2004, Fred Smith did say:

> A lot of people like K3b, though I haven't yet had the chance to
> play with it.
>
> I use X-CD Roast myself, and it mostly works pretty well. Some things
> I've found a little hard to figure out, but I manage.

I myself find xcdroast works pretty good. (and actually seams to be
getting better) I tried kb3 once on my mandrake 9.1 and it insisted on
reconfiguring some permission settings (which messed with xcdroast)
AND Nothing I did could convince it that my cd-rw needed to use DAO for
music cd's and RAW96R for data. attempting to burn music with in raw
mode or data without using raw always causes my PC to lockup so badly that
not even the alleged on/off button works.

xcdroast was more flexible in that regard. ( in fact it was from
figuring out xcdroast's set up choices that I discovered the existance
of raw modes, and that my cd-rw used them...) Since there is only just
so many times I want to have to run fsck I probably will stick with
cdroast. Though I also use dvd::rip to make & burn vcds from my dvds.

> The Gnome that comes with RHEL 3.0 (or Tao or I assume WhiteBox) and
> probably also fedora, has an automatic thing that pops up when you insert
> a blank CD, a window into which you just drag files. When ready to burn,
> click the "burn" icon. I haven't figured out hwo to burn an ISO image
> that way, despite having found a document that tells how (it doesn't
> match the program on my Tao box).

Ouch! Gag me with a spoon! <snicker> I couldn't put up with that
automatic thing no how! I can't stand any software that starts by itself
just because I popped something in the cd (one of the original reasons I
decided to dislike windoze) And drag n drop is the most annoying method
of starting a file copy routine I have ever experienced. I'd find it less
annoying to have to type a command line string longer than some of my
emails...  And that's saying a lot ;)

--
|   ---   ___
|   <0>   <->	   Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
|	^		J(tWdy)P
|    ~\___/~	     <<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>>

But if I actually knew everything, then I'd know I was an idiot...